Description and Notes:
This set is dated to c1890 because according to the historic note provided by the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester, A. G. Thornton Ltd. was located at 109, Deansgate since 1890 but moved to 11, St. Mary Street in 1897.
There is a plaque on the lid of the rosewood veneered case which indicates that this set was once belonged to one A. W. Berkford at the Trinity College, Cambridge. According to A Descriptive Treatise On Mathematical Drawing Instruments by W. F. Stanley, this is a full-set case and the instruments are made by electrum (aka German silver or nickel silver) and ivory and are of the highest quality, judged by the materials used and the sector joint construction of the compasses and dividers.
The lower tray was empty when acquired, the scale rule, ivory rectangular proctractor, and the morden drawing pencil and lead shown in this picture were added later. The lock's key is also a later replacement.