Description and Notes:
This is a working model of the Klugh's Ellipsograph built by using both vintage and new Meccano parts. The original device was invented by H. Klugh, a staff member of the Imperial Colloege, London, and was patented in 1926 as Improvements in or relating to mechanisms for compounding motions (GB245852). A prototype of which is exhibited in the London's Science Museum.
The mechanism of this device consists of a planar nine bar linkage which forms two identical adjacent parallelograms, the spring loaded drawing pencil is attached to the junction point of the two parallelograms. The otherwise two independent inputs of the linkage are linked by a simple gear train such that they can be reversely synchronized driven by a crank. The length of the two driving rods attached to the gear shafts can be adjusted to specify the dimensions of the major and minor axes of the ellipse to be drawn. The whole assembly of the mechanism can pivot at one end to be lifted up for changing the drawing paper.