Description and Notes:
The following history is quoted from The pharmaceutical industry, edited by Lesley Richmond, et. al.:
Philip Harris Medical Ltd.,
Haxelwell Lane, Stirchley, Telford
History: This business was established in 1817 at 102 Digbeth, Birmingham, by Thomas Ellis, a surgeon. In 1825 he was joined in partnership by Philip Harris, a chemist, and the firm moved to 1 The Bull Ring, Birmingham.
The business remained there until 1830, hen, after the acquisition of a second shop at 9 The Bull Ring, it began to manufacture medicines and drugs. In 1866 the firm was renamed, Philip Harris Manufacturing Chemist & Druggist Co, and in 1890 moved from the Bull Ring to Edmund Street, Birmingham.
During the twentieth century the range of surgical instruments and drugs supplied by the firm expanded, and in 1963 the business was incorporated as 2 limited liability companies, Philip Harris Ltd, which specialised in sales to educational outlets, and Philip Harris Medical Ltd, which was the pharmaceutical operation. In 1963 Philip Harris Holdings Ltd was incorporated as a limited liability company to represent the interests of both companies, and in 1966 Philip Harris Medical Ltd moved to Hazelwell Lane, Stirchley, Telford. From these premises, it served doctors and chemist nationwide, and grew to become a leading independent pharmaceutical wholesaler. It was still trading in 1997.